Search This Blog

Friday 28 January 2011

A Countdown to the 1st Date

At lunch earlier this week I updated a male friend on my current quest to master and test The Rules.   However, despite E&S's assurance that men like and respect these rules, his response was a complete contradiction.  In short he said;

'So they tell you to treat them (men) like shit and they'll love you?'

His reaction kind of wrapped up my initial interpretation of The Rules, although my language wasn't quite as colourful.  Being a man he thought the whole concept was laughable, but agreed to follow my progress purely for entertainment purposes.  As a note to all men, don't take it personal.   

Finally managed to bag a date for the weekend.  Yea!!!  Whoop Whoop!  As per the rules, I didn't instigate the meeting or conversation.  I didn't respond to every email and message and those I did respond to were equally timed to show I wasn't sitting around waiting for him to call or message me.  I politely declined any spare of the moment meetings and patiently waited for him to request one in advance.  Although I think I may have cheated a little when I mentioned that I'd be open to something later in the week. :-s  Any ho....he still set the date and confirmed with 4 days notice, and contacted me to reconfirm our plans the day before.  All played accoridng to the rules.  Well done you. 

The whole process only took a matter of days, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that it was positively hard work.  I seriously had to show restraint. After a year of teaching myself to be more upfront and active in my love life, I'm now having to learn to be tactically passive.   What is this, a game of battleships.  Each of us throwing missles in a blind hope to 'take the other down'? (all puns intended :-) )  Soooo much harder than I thought.  Apparently, in this game, it doesn't pay to be the leader by any means.  Instead I'm having to think about every move I make and every conversation I have, with a lot of it not coming so naturally.  I'm such a 'fly by the seat of my pants' kinda gal.  All this planning and rethinking it tiring.  For example, not answering all their questions!  So what, I just blank him.  Look him in the face and say...nothing!  Ummm...don't know about you, but I'd get pretty pissed, pretty quickly if the person I was talking to kept blanking me mind converstaion.  Apparently this is supposed to allow you to keep an air of mystery about you.  Of course it does, he'll be off after the first 30 mins so EVERYTHING about you will be a mystery.  Just not one he'd care to discover.  Good job I'm a quick thinkier.  I can see me getting quite creative this weekend.

Despite the urge to tell him when and where to meet and where I wanted to go, I'm letting him surprise me.  What a mistake.  Seeing as we are meeting after work, he has arranged for us to meet at 5.30 pm!!!  Man, I told the man I finished work at 5!  No time to go home and change, so needed to ensure that I wore an outfit that I can easily convert to date wear, and ensure that he doesn't keep me out too late.  That said, his list of events for the night have so far included, pre dinner drinks, dinner, more drinks up town followed by a further bar or club.  Mate, I don't know about you, but I'd need to go home and 'hol a fresh' before all that!  Well, lets see how it goes.  The count down has now begun

No comments:

Post a Comment